December 16, 2007

Foster Your Creative Side: A Cure For Depression?

Are you more analytical or perhaps more creative? Are you good in math, but weak in organizational skills? Are you also confused yet? If so, then rest assured that much information can be found on studies that help to determine actually which side of your brain is most dominant. Why is this important? Because amazingly, research has determined that each side of the brain controls different "modes" of thinking and most of us prefer one side to the other! Want to find out which side of your brain dominates the other? Take the hemisphere dominance test now! Understanding whether you are a "right brained" person or a "left brained" person, in this author's opinion, can tell you a lot about yourself and give you much needed insight into your personality.

According to Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsycholgy and Behavioral Neurology, "Researchers have uncovered evidence that illnesses, such as depression, are associated with one half of the brain and that by activating the brain's healthier other half, a person's condition may improve" (March 2002). Therefore, it may be safe to say, accordingly, that when creative individuals activate the right side of the brain, or their "creative" side by indulging in creative experiences, their depression lessons! At least this has been part of my life experience!

I have been contemplating this concept for some time now, and thinking about how it has applied in my own life. As as I mentioned in an earlier post, I suffer from chronic depression. In the last few weeks, however, my depressive symptoms have been somewhat alleviated because I have embarked on a mission to re-release my creative side, or my "right brain" so to speak. I have always been very creative. For years, I played piano, guitar and as a child, accordion. I was also very involved in theatre and dance and have written poetry since I was a wee tot! Hence, I am classically "right brained". For a significant period of time, however, I stopped doing all these things that literally made me feel ALIVE! Consequently, in my opinion, I became increasingly more and more depressed almost to the point of not wanting to live! It was only when I started to get my creative juices flowing again that I truly felt that my depression was starting to lift. I have been amazed ever since!

The point of this post is as follows...If you are an individual that suffers from chronic depression, perhaps you are right brained as well? I invite you to challenge my theory and see if fostering your creative side will help you with your depression. Can you draw or paint? How about gardening or creative writing? What about trying out for a play or singing in your church choir? Anything that nurtures that creative spirit inside you will serve the purpose. Try it for 30 days and see if you feel better! What have you got to lose, except those nasty, debilitating symtoms of depression!

For more interesting articles related to depression and other interesting topics, please visit my
hubpages! I would love to hear your comments about this post? I will revisit again when I do further research on the topic. In the mean time, let your creativity flow!

1 comment:

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!